I was in a hurry last night and forgot to thank James Linscome, our driver.  He did a great job getting to the goal circle and scoping out suitable landing fields.  It makes life a little less stressful as you come in low and know you will have a field in which to land.  He did an ever greater feat today getting Ollie out of the field he landed in, which was 1/2 mile from any road.

Jamie Sheldon had her spoiler wire come undone in flight.  She did a great job catching the dangling cable with her hand.  She had no way to secure it, so she laced it through her fingers and flew the glider to a safe landing.  She is using a WW base tube.  I looked at it this morning and saw that it was missing the steel sleeve insert at the back of pip pin hole.  She is using a different base tube today.

Sorry for all you flex wing pilots out there as we rigids wings are launching well before the flex wings.  Because of this I have no idea what is happening with them during the task.  With people landing all over the place at the goal circle, I could not tell who was doing what.  If we land back at Quest I should see the first flex wing pilot coming across goal.

There are a lot of dogs here that have learned how to beg for food.  I just had a little dog walk up to me an paw me in the leg.  I looked down at me and he gave me it's best sad starving dog look.  I said sorry and went back to typing.  He then pawed me in the leg again and tried an even sadder look (it must have been working for other since it was quite fat).  Again I said sorry.  As it started to walk off I could have sworn I saw it give me the paw.

As usually the pilots meeting started with a great joke by David Glover, it had something to do with a couple of male campers and the light in their tens casting a shadow on the walls of their tent.  He than told them that the masseuse could do a wrist massage for them.  There were clouds overhead by the time the meeting started.  Davis gave the weather and said today should be better than yesterday with lift at 650 fpm and top of lift at 6500'.

The task was called for another dog leg to the west and then southeast.  Total distance about 74 miles.  The meeting broke up early  and we had few minutes to relax.  The rush to the starting line is almost non existent.  If you wait 10 minute the volunteers bring the carts back and you don't have to carry your glider.

Out on the launch line they played musical tasks again.  When the music stopped we had a new task to the Williston airport.  No turnpoints and a total distance of 66 miles.  I was told that no one had permission for us to land around the original goal.  I usually erase the waypoints in my GPS I don't need for the day, but after yesterday, I left them in.  I'm glad I did because the new task was called 20 minutes before I launched.

I had an interesting tow behind a trike.  Everything went great, but it was quite a ride at time.  Everyone I have talked to have said the tows have been great and I have to concur.  Both days I have been left in lift.  Most of the rigids were in the same gaggle for the second start time at 2:00.  I left to get back across the start line as we had drifted across.  In the process I lost 600' and I was already 600 below the highest gliders.  Alex in the Atos VX was stinking high and stay that way until I finally lost sight of him.

The early part of the time was really tough.  I was not having fun.  I was only climbing to 4800' and was hitting big sink in between.  I was only making 2 or three miles per thermal.  Ollie got stuck in this mess and went down.  I could see Alex way up in the stratosphere, it looked like he was just dolphin flying.  Mark Stump was right with me until the half way point at which time I lost him.  But I picked up someone else, Christoff, the AIR rep.  For the next 30 miles you could have tied a 200' string between us and it would not have broken.  I could not loose him.  I even made a 360 on glide to see what he would do, and he made it as well.

The second half of the task really turned on with climb rates over 800 fpm.  I only needed three thermals the last 29 miles.  Each time I climbed to over 6600' and once hit 7,000.  I went on final glide 16 miles out.  I could hear that Mark was about 3 miles ahead of me so he beat me today.  As a result, I am supposed to say Happy Birthday to his daughter Rachel who turns 18 tomorrow, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY RACHEL and congratulation to your father for a job well done.. 

The last 2 miles before goal I was gliding about 54 miles an hour.  Suddenly I see Christoff pass under me going at least 15 mph faster than me.  I guess it pays to be the guy to tunes the gliders for the factory.  He ended up beating me by 30 or so seconds.  I beat him by 18 seconds yesterday so he is slightly ahead of me for the two days.  When I crossed goal I counted 7 other rigids already on the ground so I probably placed about 8th.  I place 7th yesterday good for 785 points.  Oh, and I had my first bad landing in the past 24.  I bent a weak link in the down tube.

I took my shower tonight at the prime mosquito time.  I felt like meat on a rotisserie, I had to keep turning in the shower to keep them from biting me.  I had a nice view of the stars though.

You can see how crooked the track is the first half where I was having trouble.  The second half is almost a strait line.   Final glide was 16 miles from almost 7,000'.